Hi - A good starting discussions on c# books are the most useful

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Hi
I thought I'd start by saying hello to everyone who has joined this topic. I have struggled with c# for the last 3 or so years. I only use c# at work when I have to and in my spare time (juggling with family commitments in never easy). Our committment to this Project/s will move us forward - I promise.
Just as a quick starter discussio, here is a list of books that I have read before. This also gives you an idea of where I am at. Also perhaps we can determine which books have helped us the most - then we also might go out and buy the same book to work on
Here are the books that I bought (in order that I bought them) :-
Sams Teach Yourself Visual C# 2010 in 24 Hours - 7/10 an ok beginners book
C# Language Pocket Reference O'Reiily - 4/10 this reference book is not for the faint hearted
Beginning C# Object-Oriented Programming - Apress - 7/10 This gives more of an overall project plan view to doing larger projects. Doesn't explain the technical stuff too well though.
Murach's C# 2010 by Joel Murach - 7/10 Its a lot to read. I found that I just didn't have time to do all the execises and when going into the c# land of Delegates, Event, Intefaces and Indexes etc it let me down.
The latest book I've bought is
Illustrated C# 2008 - Apress (I bought this 2nd hand) - will give is 9/10 so far.
I've nearly read the first 100 pages and already impressed as this book explains the differences between Stack memory and Heap memory. When you know the differences in the two types of memory, it helps you to understand why objects are reference types. More on this later.
For now I thought I've just start by saying what books I've used so far and what I think of them.
Next we can all look to write a small project independently and then compare our projects with each other to come up with a final best version. This way, as beginners, we can be sure that we using c# in the best way - in the way its intended. What I find, as a beginner is that the code that I insert in a Form class can get too bulky. Even when I use methods and static methods to repeatedly call the same code I hate it when I come back to code a week later and find it hard to carry on with where I left off.
Anyway, this is some of my input so far.
I'm also new to CodePlex but can't wait to learn more and continue our journey together to wherever it leads
Cheers for now
Matt
p.s If anyone else is willing to share their experiences with c# books please feel free to add to this discussion.
Editor
Feb 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Hey my name is Casey and I am currently pursuing a Bachelors Degree in CS. C# is my first language
that I am really going as far as possible in learning everything I can about it. I'm currently reading
C# Programming 3rd Edition by Barbara Doyle. It's an excellent book but I could be very biased as
it is my first C# book in my collection. I've read everything up to Chapter 5 which includes writing
and controlling methods,classes,basic syntax,ref and out, etc. So not a large pool of knowledge in
C# but enough to help me learn. I look forward to contributing what I can to this project all while
learning so much from everyone else.
Editor
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Edited Feb 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Hi, I'm maverick9. I used C# 3 years ago for a part-time job for few months. That time i read the book: Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Step by Step - John Sharp.
After that I came back to C# now because, I find it is a fun language to program and nice skill set to have in resume. Ultimately I want to contribute to a open-source project in C#.
Challenge for me is that I don't use C# at my full-time day job. So, I hope i have enough time to juggle family, full-time job and other commitments :-)

I'm currently reading through the John Sharp book to get myself to remember it. ( This is only book I ever read on C#, so I can't compare it to other books. But I give it a 7/10 )
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Hi Maverick
I'm in the same boat as you here - I work in IT Support and can only do c# when my work goes quieter or I get a spare hour or two at home throughout the week. At home, sometimes I might get up earlier if I have the energy or I might sacrifice the odd evening with my wife ( she doesn't mind if its once every now and then :).
As it happens I'm on vacaation from work next week, at him, looking after my 9 year old soon but I hope to get all my jobs done quickly and then run up to the computer. I also need to do things with my son which is important - as you know, its all about balance and fitting in what you dream of being good at.
A member of this Project has now started a Discussion to suggest that we all start off by writing a Web Browser app and then we can compare our solutions with each other. I've asked that everyone keeps it basic for now and that we aim to finish the first part of this project by next Sunday, 24th February. I hope that you'll find the time to have a go at this - also I'll do everything I can to compare everyones solution and write a conclusion up for anyones future reference.
Finally, we can all try to agree on a final basic project version which I'll add into the Download tab of this Project.
Hopefully you can be part of this.
Kind Regards
Matt
Feb 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Hey All -
My names Tim; I've been developing in C# for around 6 years (mostly studying patterns, practices, and how the .Net works). Anyways, one of best .Net books IMO is C# in Depth by Jon Skeet. He does an amazing job of explaining C# features soup-to-nuts as well as why it was implemented the way that it was, which can be really helpful in understanding how to properly implement something.
Best regards,
Tim
Coordinator
Feb 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Hi Tim
Thanks for the C# in Depth book suggestion and I think that Jon Skeets book is absolutely great for anyone with perhaps 5 or more years experience. Unfortunately, I tried reading this book and lost the dedication after reading about 60 pages or so. Can I ask, would you mind sharing with us how you learn't c# from the beginning and what action you took when you got stuck - were there any books or resources that you used when you were first learning.
Kind Regards
Matt
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Hi Matt -
You bring up a great point. I believe that the first solid c# reference book that I used was Professional C# 2008 by Wrox press. It helped me get down a lot of the basics. Unfortunately I can't say that i really had any other definitive written resources while I was learning. Honestly the most success I had learning was to simply find or make up a business need, code to that, and fix problems that come up as you go; the best resources for me during this process was my Wrox book, msdn, and most of all fellow developers. Having a developer who can review your code or can code and learn with you at the same time is easily the best asset you can have. Arguably I didn't use the easiest approach to get started but it worked well enough for me to get my footing and become proficient. Maybe this Codeplex project can be a springboard for starting code and getting it reviewed and mentored by others?
Just some thoughts.
Best regards,
Tim
Coordinator
Feb 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Hi Tim
You've inspired me to buy Professional C# 2008 by Wrox press (I don't mind 2nd hand books either :)).
With the C# in Depth book I found that the author was comparing the advantage of .Net 1,2,3,4 etc which I found hard to absorb.
For an absolute beginner I would recommend Sams Teach Yourself Visual C# 2010 in 24 Hours as it starts out by covering how to use Visual Studio which is good if anyone has not used it before. After that book, I would now advise the Wrox press book or the Illustrated C# 2008 - Apress which I am now reading. Again, a second hand book is just as good as a new one in my opinon. Also I don't think that just having one book is enough :)
I can't wait to get the first project completed now and look forward going on to doing more advanced things.
Speak to you again soon
Kind Regards
Matt
Editor
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Hi Team,
I'm still halfway through reading the C# book I posted above. I think I will be behind you guys in developing the Web app. I need at least 3 weeks more to just finish the book and start developing the project.
Hopefully I can still catch you guys by that time :-)
Editor
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:06 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Hi All,

My name is Joe and I have been coding on/off for the past two years. I have been across the spectrum starting with VB, then Java, and now find myself in .NET with C#. Currently, I am learning ASP.NET for a competition in my city. I figured I would immerse myself in codeplex to keep my skills sharp (no pun intended :) ) Hopefully I get accepted on the project, and look forward to working with the group.

I have enjoyed 'Sams Teach Yourself' books due providing information with quick exercises, especially when your schedule conflicts with trying to learn. For C#, I have used Rob Miles C# yellow book as a reference. Fortunately, after learning java, the syntax change to C# was not to difficult to grasp.

Thanks,
Joe
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Hi Joe
Its a pleasure to have you and everyone else as part of this new project. I've just had a look for a c# book by Rob Miles. Is this the one? :-

Learn C# Now Toolkit Book/CD Package (PRO- Step by Step Developer) [Perfect Paperback]

I've sometimes thought tha maybe gaming c# books could be better than the c# books aimed at more serious businness apps -especially if its more fun and enjoyable. At least, if its more fun, it might be help to stay motivated. As far as beginners go, how many out of 10 would you give the book?
Cheers
Matt
Editor
Mar 2, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Hello Guys,

check the newboston site. It is great source. I am learning from it.

http://thenewboston.org

Cheers,
Jozsef
Coordinator
Mar 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Hi Jozsef

The video tutorial are really good as well :-
http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C-Sharp-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners

I find that there is a surpising amount of decent c# tutorial on YouTube. I find they are good to reinforce what you are currently learning in c# and are good to break off from any intensive c# book reading.:)

If anyone has any more favourite Channels they you please add onto this discussion.

Cheers
Matt
p.s TIP:did you know that you can easily increase or decrease the source code text size by using ctrl+ or ctrl-

I found this out by watching a c# Youtube tutorial by PeterTeach who does some really good tutorial as well.

I just wish that there was a better way to organise all the free video tutorials available because most are very good indeed.