NEW ideas for the next project needed please

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Hi
The c# Web Browser idea came from a member of this group. It was an excellent idea because it got quite a few people using parts of c# that they might seldom use, there were Youtube tutorials on how to do it which made it easier to have a go at. The main deadline for this project is still Sunday 24th Feb 2013 although everyone is fine to write their own or try to upload their version along side the project/s that are already here.

So does anyone have any more ideas about what we could focus on next. My own idea is maybe to write some kind of Class and correctly use Methods within the class to compute various outputs. For learning, it might be an idea that we drop back to creating a new Project as a 'Console Application'. This means that we are more concerned with the coding aspects rather than creating a nice user interface which involves buttons and graphics etc...

The question is, what kind of class could we play with that might have the most kinds of attributes eg. we could write class called Employee, Patient, Vehicle, Telephone book, Companies etc...

I quite like the idea of writing a Company Class so we can learn more about the large IT companies like Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple, IBM etc...
Then we could write methods to create the class objects (instances) and hold details about each company. We could also include a 'Founder' property. From that we could write another class called Founder which shows the name, date of birth, net worth etc.... Then we could write some methods to display, in order, who are worth the most dollars etc.

Does anyone else have any more ideas or seen an good ideas from the books they are working with?

Kind Regards
Matt
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Hi All,

I would like to suggest perhaps a console version of an ATM. This would provide a way of creating classes, using inheritance and creating methods. e.g

Class ATM Application
Class Client
Class Account
-> Class Account:SavingsAccount
-> Class Account:ChequeAccount

etc. etc.

When I have a few extra moments I will flesh this out a little and come up with some example / samples.

Regards,
GK
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Hi GK
I like your idea is the best so far. I think it would be good idea to also write a project spec to include the Class names together with Property name and Types needed. Also it would be a good idea to include the names of Methods needs together with the Method name and also what parameters are expected together with what type of data should be returned. This way we could ensure that the project includes a good range of primitive types eg. int, decimal, string etc...
We could always add more to the Spec if more ideas come to mind.
Anyway theres room for thought still.
Cheers
Matt
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Hello!

I like the ATM idea.

Regards,
Jozsef
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Awesome :) Well, I think I have a quiet day at work today so I should have a little spare time to write up a spec (although, whenever I think it is going to be quiet I almost always am wrong! lol).