Hi- Can anyone explaine why we are using visual studio 2012 rather than 2010

Editor
Feb 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Hello everyone,

Initially I would like to thank Matt for including me as a developer in this project.
I am also done with the development of Web-browser.

I am excited to know why we are using visual studio 2012 rather than 2010.
I am novice programmer and working on visual studio 2010 from last 1 year, I am not having any information about different development as from last one year I am working on only web development using asp.net and MVC and I am very thankful to Matt for including me in this group.

I visited Microsoft download center to download new version but what I found that there are different tools are there for each application development so I am little bit confuse which should I download?

later on I am ready to give me my 100% to develop some cool application through this project.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Hi Sudhiradam
Thank you for joining and may we all greatly benefit from being part of this project.
I'm not worried what version of visual studio that anyone uses. Personally I had 2010 installed on my Pc until last week. Then I installed 2012 just out of curiosity. I just thought it would be best if we all use the latest version seeing as its free. But feel free to use either version. Looking ahead though, 2012 is the look of the future. Maybe install 2010 first and then 2012 if you can. On my pc, I have both installed so can flick between them.
So choose either version for me - I don't think it will make much difference (hopefully).
Kind Regards
Matt
Editor
Feb 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Hi Matt,
Will you please tell which tool I should install or will you please provide me direct link to download as I am little bit confused over there as it is providing 5 different categories to download
  • Visual studio 2012 for web
  • Visual studio 2012 for Windows 8
  • Visual studio 2012 for Windows Desktop
  • Visual studio 2012 for Windows phone
  • Visual studio team foundation server express 2012
I am also new to such type of open source hosting project site just tell me how should I upload my project.

Regards,
Sudhir.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Hi Sudhir
I chose 3.Visual studio 2012 for Windows Desktop to install Express 2012 for Desktop. This includes C#, Visual Basic and C++ also. After clicking that, click the Install now on the left. I think that Microsoft have decided to call it Windows Desktop for some reason - maybe they realise that they need to keep desktop applications and web applications seperate.

BUT WAIT
I know you mention version 2010 before. If you havn't done so already, I would advising installing 2010 first which is just a bit lower down in the web-link :-
Visual Studio 2010/2012 Microsoft download link.

Later, we might find that version 2010 better suits us or that maybe 2012 suits us better so its probably a good reason to installl both versions. Then you have the flexibility to use either later on without having find that you have to uninstall 2012 etc...

I remember that it asked me for Registration key after install 2012 also. Thats no problem, just follow the instruction and Microsoft will email you a licence key (free of charge).

Send me a message if you need any more help.

Cheers
Matt
P.S I'll also add this info to this projects System Requirement in case any one else needs help installing it.
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM
Just as a matter of interest, the reason it's called Visual Studio Express for Desktop isn't actually to distinguish desktop from web - it's to distinguish normal old desktop apps that we're used to from the new "Windows 8" apps, because those are built differently. This is why there is a specific Visual Studio Express for Windows 8, too.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Thank ahouse for correcting on that - its interesting to see that Microsoft intend on using a different Visual Installation for Windows 8. Would you say that we are better to all use version 2010 or 2012 or shouldn't it make much difference at this point of beginning out with c#.
Cheers
Matt
Feb 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
My personal recommendation is to use 2012 - it's newer, and as you said, it will be the future. It has some pretty interesting features that aren't present in 2010, and since we are all trying to become C# experts with this project, I believe that it's smart to use 2012. I've used both fairly often, and I ended up uninstalling 2010; 2012 is more stable, usually just as fast, and honestly just tends to work better.
  • Alex
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM
Hi, Just wanted to point out that if you are in college and/or have a valid @edu email-address microsoft gives out the professional editions for free. Please see here for more information. You need to first register and then you can download whichever version of Visual Studio you prefer.
https://www.dreamspark.com/

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 for now.
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM
This is true, and thanks for pointing that out, maverick. I had forgotten because I wasn't eligible for DreamSpark, but it's still a great thing for those who are.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Hi
I might apply to Dreamspark to see if they could provide all of us with a full pro licence because this is an OpenSource Educational Group. No promises though but if you don't ask then you don't get - as they say.

Meanwhile could everyone experiment with TortoiseSVN as a way of uploading your code. If that presents us problems then we can always look at the other free alternatives (like Team Explorer?) :)

Cheers
Matt
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I personally can say that the Team Explorer that's built into 2012 Express is going to be easier than TortoiseSVN. Far easier. And there are explicit instructions for it on CodePlex.
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Hi Ahouse
I've just tried using Team Explorer. It took me about an hour and a half to get used to obtaining the source code, altering it and uploading it back to the master area again.
I've just done a YouTube video if you could advise where I can improve when using it :-
Tutorial on how to use Team Explorer to obtain source code, modify it and upload it back to CodePlex by Matt (me)

The video covers the basics of how to get by - please can everyone view and let me know how you get on. I'm still learning myself :)

Even if you mess up the Project, please don't worry at the point. The magic with using Team Viewer or any Source control software is that we can always revert it back the way it was so please give it a go. You will make mistakes but its better to make them in a place like this than at work or on something really important).

Cheers
Matt
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Hi Matt!

Is it possible to make a Visual Studio 2010 C# express solution file, too? Than more people can download the code. I can not install the new package. I have to check why.
This project is very important for me because I can work with you togather in a team, We can support each other. This gives me a power. Because I am studying also besides work...
Please do it possible for download the sln file in the older version.

Thanks in advance,
Jozsef
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Hi Jozsef Are you having problems with installing 2012 or loading the .sln solution file? I just need to be clear before I answer your problem. Kind Regards Matt Sent from my iPhone On 21 Feb 2013, at 17:30, "JozsefG" <<notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:
> package
Editor
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Hi Matt!

I have problems with the Visual Studio 2012 download from the Microsoft.
But I can make this project on VS C# 2010 too. The most important is the kick-off of this team.

Regards, Jozsef
Coordinator
Feb 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Hi Jozsef
That's good that you can run it just the same in 2010. If you and many others have problems wit 2012 then we will all stay with 2010 for now. Do you realise that for a beginner that c# 2010 is the same as the 2012 version? I'm no expert yet but as far as I know, version 2012 contains some extra features but the core c# will always be programmed in the same old ways. In fact I've just bought a book which is version 2008 just because it explains the basics so well and because it was a very cheap book.
Hope that helps for now
Matt

Sent from my iPhone

On 21 Feb 2013, at 18:18, "JozsefG" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Matt!

I have problems with the Visual Studio 2012 download from the Microsoft.
But I can make this project on VS C# 2010 too. The most important is the kick-off of this team.

Regards, Jozsef